I have always been an admirer of 'Urdu Shayari' and so very much wanted to dedicate at least one post to the same.. 
Whenever I get some time on my hands, my only past time other than reading is to browse through 'Ashaars' (couplets). My taste in Urdu shayari is of the sad hard hitting genre.. I have liked ashaars which are told straight from the heart and somehow can tell tales and move u to tears in just a few couplets.. Here are some which I found to my liking.. hope u like them as well.. I've translated them to the best of my ability.. Read and enjoy!
Jab main kehta hoon Ya Allah mera haal dekh
Hukm hota hain apna naam-e-amaal dekh
~Akbar Allahbaadi
'Look at my state O God' when I pray
Straight comes the answer 'Your own deeds survey'
Jab main kehta hoon Ya Allah mera haal dekh
Hukm hota hain apna naam-e-amaal dekh
~Akbar Allahbaadi
'Look at my state O God' when I pray
Straight comes the answer 'Your own deeds survey'
Ibteda yeh thi ki jeene ke liye marta tha main
Inteha yeh hain ki marne ki bhi hastrat na rahi
~Mahir-ul-Qadri
I was dying to live in my early days
I do not even pine to die, this is the ultimate
Marte hain Mir sab, par na is bekasi ke saath
Maatam pe tere koi na roya pukar kar
~Mir Taqi Mir
Everyone dies Mir, but not in such a plight
None in your funeral wailed aloud or cried
Ab to ghabra ke yeh kehte hain ke mar jayenge
Mar ke bhi chain na paya to kidhar jayenge
~Zauq
We'll die' now we cry, fed up with this life
what shall we do, if death too fails to bring respite?
Mout ka ek din moyyan hain
Neend kyu raat bhar nahi aati
There is a time fixed for death
why cant I sleep at night?
Hue mar ke hum jo ruswa, kyun hue na gharqe darya
Na kabhi janaza uthta, na kahin mazhar hota
~Ghalib
Why didnt I drown in the river ere this disgrace?
There wouldn't have been a funeral, there wouldn't have been a grave
Aakhen khuli to jaag uthi hasratein tamaam
Usko bhi kho diya jise paaya tha khwab main
~Siraj Lakhnavi
With the opening of my eyes, yearnings too revived
I lost even the one I found in my dreams
Ik na-tamaan khwab mukammil na hosaka
Aane ko meri zindagi main bahut inqalaab aaye
~Andleeb Shadaani
The long cherished dream of mine never did realize
Many a revolution though occurred in my life
Mujhe rokega tu ai nakhuda kya gharq hone se
ke jinko doobna hain woh doob jaate hain safeenon main
~Iqbal
How can u O helmsman, save me from death?
Those fated to drown will drown despite the boat
Khismat se hi lachaar hoon aye zauq wa-garna
Har fun main hoon main taaq, mujhe kya nahi aata
Fate has bowed me down O Zouq, otherwise
What is it I do not know, Who can deny my skills?
~Zauq
Wo bewafa kahe mujhe jisse wafa karoon
Main badnaseeb apne muqaddar ka kya karoon
~Bekhud Dehlvi
Even those whom I love distrust my faith
What should I, the hapless, do about my fate?
Dil ke phaphole jal uthe seene ke dagh se
Is ghar ko aag lag gayi, ghar ke chiragh se
~Anon
My blistered heart is set afire by its inner scar
By its own lighted lamp, the house has been scorched
Kab tak kisi ke soog main royenge baith kar
Hum khud ko kitni baar yeh samjha ke ro pade
~Anon
Till when do I sit and weep in mourning for someone
I've cried many a times reasoning this with myself
Na jaane kaise khabar hogayi zamane ko
Chaman main barq nahin chodti kisi soorat
Tarah tarah se banata hoon aashiyaane ko
~Qamar JalalabadiI know not how everyone got to know of it
The lightning never fails to strike in the garden
Where I keep constructing my dwelling in so many ways
Mera khamosh reh kar bhi, unhen sab kuch suna dena
Zabaan se kuch na kehna, dekh kar aansoon baha denaIjazat ho to keh doon Qissa-e-Ulfat Sar-e Mehfil
Mujhe kuch to fasaana yaad hain, Kuch tum suna denaMain mujrim hoon, mujhe iqraar hain Jurm-e-Mohabbat ka
Magar pehle khata par ghour karlo, phir saza denaMain in halaat main pahuncha, hashrwaale khud pukaar utthe
Koi faryaad karne aaraha hain, rasta dena~Qamar Jalalvi
In spite of being quiet, I would say everything to him
My tongue would be silent but my eyes would weep
Do I have your permission to reveal the story of our love to everyone
I remember some of it, the rest u tell everyone
I'm a sinner, I confess I'm guilty of the crime of love
But first reflect on my mistake, then punish me for it
I reached in that state, the people on the day of judgment shouted
Someone is coming with a plea, please give way
Duniya ne hum pe jab koi ilzaam rakh diya
In spite of being quiet, I would say everything to him
My tongue would be silent but my eyes would weep
Do I have your permission to reveal the story of our love to everyone
I remember some of it, the rest u tell everyone
I'm a sinner, I confess I'm guilty of the crime of love
But first reflect on my mistake, then punish me for it
I reached in that state, the people on the day of judgment shouted
Someone is coming with a plea, please give way
Duniya ne hum pe jab koi ilzaam rakh diya
Hum ne muqabil us ke tera naam rakh diya
Ik khaas hadh pe aagayi jab teri berukhi
Naam us ka hum ne Gardish-e-Ayyam rakh diyaAb jis ke dil main aaye wohi paaye roshni
Hum ne to dil jala ke Sar-e-Aam rakh diya
Majbooriyon kaa jis ne vafaa naam rakh diyaa
When the world leveled an allegation against me
In answer to it, I placed your name before them
When your indifference reached a particular limit
I gave it the name of 'circle of time'
Now whoever wishes can get luminescence
I have set my heart afire and placed it in front of everyone
What a clever man it was 'Qateel'
Who gave the name 'faithfulness' to obligations
Kiya hain pyar humne jisse zindagi ki tarah
Wo Aashana bhi mila humse ajnabee ki tarah
Kabhi na soncha tha hum ne 'Qateel' uske liye
Karega hum pe sitam woh bhi har kisi ki tarah
~Qateel
He whom I loved more than my life
That friend met me like a total stranger
I never expected this from him 'Qateel'
That even he would be cruel like everyone else
Aye maut! Unhe bhulaye zamane guzar gaye
Aaja ke zeher khaaye zamaane guzar gaye
O jaanewale aa ke tere intezaar mein
Raste ko ghar banaye zamaane guzar gaye
Gham hain na ab khushi hain na ummeed hain na aas
Sab se najaat paaye zamane guzar gaye
Kya laayaq-e-sitam bhi nahi ab main doston
Patthar bhi ghar main aaye zamaane guzar gaye
Jaane bahaar phool nahi aadmi hoon main
Aaja ke muskuraaye zamaane guzar gaye
~Khumar Barabankhwi
O death! Its been ages since I erased him from my memories
Please come now that its been ages I've drank poison
O wayfarer come back, in ur endless waiting
Its been ages that I've made the street as my home
There is no grief, no happiness, no hope, no desire
Its been ages that I freed myself from them
Am I not not even befitted to cruelty my friends
Its been ages that a stone has been thrown into my house
O dear I'm not a flower but a human
Please come now that its been ages I smiled
Aaja ke zeher khaaye zamaane guzar gaye
O jaanewale aa ke tere intezaar mein
Raste ko ghar banaye zamaane guzar gaye
Gham hain na ab khushi hain na ummeed hain na aas
Sab se najaat paaye zamane guzar gaye
Kya laayaq-e-sitam bhi nahi ab main doston
Patthar bhi ghar main aaye zamaane guzar gaye
Jaane bahaar phool nahi aadmi hoon main
Aaja ke muskuraaye zamaane guzar gaye
~Khumar Barabankhwi
O death! Its been ages since I erased him from my memories
Please come now that its been ages I've drank poison
O wayfarer come back, in ur endless waiting
Its been ages that I've made the street as my home
There is no grief, no happiness, no hope, no desire
Its been ages that I freed myself from them
Am I not not even befitted to cruelty my friends
Its been ages that a stone has been thrown into my house
O dear I'm not a flower but a human
Please come now that its been ages I smiled
Aap kehte the ke rone se na badalenge naseeb
Umr bhar aap ki is baat ne rone na diya
Tujhse milkar hamein rona tha bahot rona tha
Tangi-e-waqt-e-mulaaqaat ne rone na diya
Ek do roz kaa sadma ho to rolein 'Faakir'
Hum ko har roz ke sadamaat ne rone na diya
~Sudarshan Faakhir
Crying will not change your destiny is what you used to say
Your saying prevented me from crying my whole life
I wanted to meet u and cry and keep on crying
The so little time for the meeting prevented me from crying
I would have cried had it been a day or two's sorrow
Its an everyday state of sorrows that prevented me from crying
4 comments:
Amazing poetry indeed..my faves amongst them:
Jab main kehta hoon Ya Allah mera haal dekh
Hukm hota hain apna naam-e-amaal dekh
AND
Aakhen khuli to jaag uthi hasratein tamaam
Usko bhi kho diya jise paaya tha khwab main
Tks 4 sharing:)
yai musalmaan hai jena dekh ka sarmayai yahood............
[Alama iqbal]
Thanks Zainab.. Waiting for u to be back.. Missing ur posts already.. :(
Thanks Brother Mueen for stopping by..
Subhanallah, Follow your heart, never surrender your dreams. Constantly work towards your goals.
Believe in yourself, and always be truthful. Take time to enjoy life's pleasures. Keep your mind open to new experiences.Think before acting,but don't forget the joys of spontaneity.Make your own decisions.Look out for yourself, but remember that you share this universe with others. Look for the good in others, everybody has their own song to sing. Live each moment to the fullest, for a moment too soon becomes a memory.
Look for opportunities,not guarantees.Hope for the best.Give people a chance to love you,for that is how you learn to love.Live your life for yourself,but always be considerate of others.Believe in tomorrow, for it holds the key
to your dreams.
Post a Comment