Wednesday, 8 October 2008

Gone are the days.. :(

Yesterday I was searching for children videos on youtube to put on for my daughter and I came upon this one..




Can u believe it.. I actually listened to this song after maybe 15 years.. but I felt as if it was just yesterday.. yes.. I'm getting all teary-eyed recollecting the wonderful memories associated with those days.. It was such a warm and homely atmosphere.. Sunday mornings.. All through the tedious week, I would wait for the weekend and for the Sunday morning special breakfast when everyone would be at ease.. I could sleep late on that day without the tension of getting up early to dress up for school.. The noise of the hustle bustle in the kitchen would wake me up.. My mother used to be up early doing her chores and making breakfast.. I would wake up with a yawn.. start the day with the chattering of my sisters.. and then have a hot sumptuous breakfast consisting of khichdi, kheema, til ki chutney and papaad.. we all as a family would gather round the 'dastarkhaan'... The discussion on the dastarkhaan by my father.. me and my sisters and brother listening to my dad's words.. now when I think back, it was such a feel good factor.. the meal tasted so good just because u were eating it with ur family.. :( To think of it.. a realization has dawned on me that those were the priceless moments which no money can ever buy.. they can never come back..

There was not a care in the world.. I had an enclosed but exuberant life for myself.. My world consisted of my books, my school and my grades.. Getting up in the mornings, dressing up for school.. coming back.. doing my homework, playing out an hour before 'maghrib' and watching 'chitrahaar' in the evenings before dozing off to sleep.. it was a life of pure ecstasy.. 'Koi lauta de mujhe.. mere beete hue din.. ':(

There are a lot of wonderful memories which I will catch up with.. next time.. but for now.. let me revel in this Jagjit Singh's song..

9 comments:

Zee said...

Seriously gone are the days...touching post..reminded me of my childhood too..as you said it seems just like yesterday and now the roles have changed..u must have got in the groove of motherhood by now...but I still can't believe that I am gonna be a mum very soon!!!
Those Sundays..those TV programs..can't stop reminiscing..

Anjum said...

bete din yaad aagaye.,thanks for taking me into a lovely journey of our childhood.,even i used to wait for sundays.,those cartoons outing all were so good with parents,we never appreciated them...now we realise how precious they were.

syeda said...

Armina, your post echos my thoughts!! you know what same menu at our house also, khichdi khatta papad kheema, and of course chandrakanta and then jungle book,it is such irony that you grow up with your brothers and sisters, ur parents, but once you or your siblings get married,nothing is same, everybody is dispersed.....I miss my family..
my home in hyderabad,since I got married to somebody not from hyderabad, its been ages sinces I ahve gone there...loved your post..thanx for bringing back my memories!

Obaid said...

The topic pinches all of us. While reading the post , i was just recollecting how i used to spend sundays.For me sundays were blocked especially for getting up late, organising Cricket matches,having heavy lunch with all family members, planning for a hair cut in the evening and what not..... Those were really funny, memorable, exciting and not to mention tension free days.. All i can tel now is Gone are the days..!!!!

Sanju said...

Wow!! I had the same exact feeling on hearing Mowgli song after 15 or so long years on you tube few months back! and I showed it my kids right away!.. I oved the part where it says "Chaddi pahan ke phool khila hai" hehehe I also found the " Ek ..Anek" song in you tube which used to air in india when I was a kid for promoting unity.. not sure if they still air that.

Sanju

Sanju said...

And your weekend schedule of the yummy breakfast is sosimilar to mine.. someimes instead of kheema we also had kaleji and instead of khichdi, there used to bagara khana. ohh and I loved chitrahaar and sunday movies from
Door-Darshan..

Armina said...

Sure Zee.. this in in fact the reminiscing phase of my life.. every time I see my children I remember my days as a child.. :)

Anju.. precious days they sure were.. wish we cud rewind our lives:(

Syeda.. gone are those days of a greener and spacious Hyderabad..its now all cluttered with traffic n pollution and the open spaces taken up for commercial purposes.. sadly there are no playgrounds n trees to play underneath, no clean air to breath and feels very claustrophobic everywhere u go.. very sad state of affairs..:(

Obaid Bhai.. thanks for commenting.. Most of the guys I know used to play cricket matches on Sundays.. lol!

Sanju.. the mougli song is one treat to watch.. and if u listen carefully he sings.. 'chaddi PAHAN ke phool khila hai..' Such a cutiepie voice.. :)

Anonymous said...

a minute ago i was laughing at another one of ur blogs...and now here i am, bawling like a baby reading this one...sigh...
kya kar rahi ho ladki!! :(

Yasmeen said...

Truly gone Armina and never returning except in our dreams:). Ours was Mondays big family brunch,it was a typical defense academy school with Monday as holiday of the week.
My dad is the big fan of J.Singh,I remember he used to play this song over and over:)

Welcome, You are visitor number