Wednesday, 24 September 2008

Penchant for Poetry

Poetry has been penned, appreciated and loved since times immemorial.. In the medieval times, people had such profound love for poetry that poets were held in high esteem.. Poetry was recited to infuse enthusiasm among fighters in war, to praise the Almighty with heartrending odes and to express pining love to a beloved among other things..

Urdu Shayari has its very unique flavor and its effect is almost spell binding.. Sadly, it is reduced to a pathetic state today and couplets are belted out left, right and center by people claiming to be Shayars.. Not everyone is gifted with the understanding and appreciation of poetry, leave alone the talent of composing it.. Its heartening to realize that the love of Urdu is diminishing in today's times.. In our homes, we do not speak pure Urdu.. we speak the Hindi-Urdu Hyderabadi lingo and so we are not at all proficient in the nuances of Urdu as a language, though we claim it to be our mother tongue..

I have never learnt Urdu.. but whatever understanding I had of it was because of my late father.. (May Allah grant him maghfirath).. He was a great admirer of Urdu poetry and his favorite was Allama Iqbal.. He had taught me some verses of the legendary poet's masterpiece.. 'Shikwa.. Jawaab-E-Shikwa'.. In this masterpiece Iqbal complains to Allah (SWT) about the pathetic condition Muslims have been reduced to.. My father told me that after 'Shikwa' (The Complaint) was compiled, there was a lot of hue and cry about how could a poet possibly have grievances against the Almighty Himself (Nouzbillah!) and a year later Iqbal was compelled to compose 'Jawab-e-Shikwa' (The Response to the Complaint) in which he wrote the reply Allah (SWT) is giving to his grievance.. (Subhanallah!)

If u appreciate Urdu Shayari.. this is a must watch for u..











8 comments:

syeda said...

mashallah very good poetries!
to some extent old songs had a bit of poetry in it...chaudvi ka chand etc..but these days the poetry is reduced to cursing..like ishq kameena..lol

syeda said...

BTW! Eid mubarak! how was your eid?

Anjum said...

ASak armi,Eid mubaraak ...how was eid will call u on weekend.,hey the videos were great...thought i m not a shayari lover...i simply loved them.,great work

Zee said...

He is amazing and written a great deal of Persian poetry too, which my father keeps reciting to us once in a while..One of my favourite Persian couplets written by him, just a few months before his death is:

"Cho rakhte khish bar bastam az in khaak
Hame goftand ba ma ashena bud
Wa likan kas nadanest in Mosafer
Che goft o ba ki goft o az koja bud"

Very beautiful..it is close to imposible to translate verse..you need to know the language to understand it..I guess you strongly agree on this..anyway it roughly means that:

"When I am gone from this world
Everyone will claim we knew him well
But no one ever really knew what did this seeker say? To whom did he say? And where did he come from?"

I am really not satisfied with the translation...anyway I hope it conveyed something meaningful...
Whoops! My comment got way too long!

Zee said...

Oops! I forgot..Eid Mubarak to you and your family Armina:)

Armina said...

True Syeda.. I didn't expect to receive comments for this post co I thought noone wud have a liking to urdu poetry.. lol.. am i pleasantly surprised? :)
Eid was great Alhamdulillah.. Eid ki namaz accompanied with the sheer khorma and the Biryani.. it was a sumptuous feast! How was urs?

Anju.. Mashallah aap ne shayari pasand ki.. thats very motivating for me to put up some more posts on urdu shayari :)

Zainab.. Thanks.. Eid Mubarak to u n ur family too!
Mashallah.. great going.. I loved ur farsi sher.. here is one which my Dad had taught me. I'm recalling it after a good 10 years so apologize for any memory lapse:
'Tuan khatil ke azbehre tamasha khoone manrezi
Mana Bismil ke zere khanjare khoonkhar meer rakhsam'
Waiting for translation.. :)

Zee said...

Very well said..this verse is comparing the attitude of a murderer(Qatil/Khatil) to that of a victim..somehow it is easier to use Urdu rather than English for translation..anyway it says:

"Tum wo qatil (murderer) ho jo tamashe ke liye mera khoon bahate ho..Main wo bismil (victim) hoon jo khanjare (dagger) khoonkhar (bloody) ke niche nachta hoon"

Here he is referring to the victim as bismil...as we say Bismillah before doing zibha
I hope it made some sense..

Anonymous said...

I remember reading this in a booklet form :) and marvelling at the thoughts, the ideas, the philosophy, the writing...
My father is Allamma Iqbal's most ardent fan too.
Thank you for sharing this with us :)

Welcome, You are visitor number