Wednesday, 19 November 2008

Awards galore.. and the 7 Meme thingy..

Thanks a lot Syeda and Yasmeen for the latest awards in my kitty.. Thanks Zainab for creating an award especially for me.. Ur gesture moved me to tears.. nangih Hmmph.. ok.. I'm being over dramatic here.. but I just cant come up with enough thanks now.. hence the dramatic overtones.. sengihnampakgigi My excitement on getting proficiency awards in school is paler in comparison to the excitement and creative fervor I experience on being awarded these cute little blogger awards.. Needless to mention, they bring so much cheer and joy to my mundane life..menari I never imagined in my wildest, wackiest dreams that the world of blogging would open its arms so wide for me.. The feeling is no less than becoming a celebrity overnight.. If u think am exaggerating u got to start blogging urself to believe it.. There is no creative high greater than this.. Imagine, what u thought to be incoherent musings and a rigmarole of ur ravings and rantings is read by people from all over the world without actually having to force someone at gunpoint to listen to ur personalized opinions.. And an icing on the cake.. they reach out to u on their own and give u their positive feedback.. Isn't that sooo amazing.. ! All thanks to the Internet and to all u wonderful people out there..cium

Thanks Syeda and Yasmeen for tagging me with the 7 Meme.. I had so much fun writing them and hope u have fun reading them too.. So here goes my lists of 7 things..

7 Things I Say More Often:

1. Ya Allah! (Exasperated tone)
2. Hau, Nakko accompanied with Aaain?.. (True blue blood Hyderabadi ishtyle)
3. Aji.. sunrain aap? (The reason why I say this more often lies in the question itself)
4. Ayeshaaa..cium Ayeshaaaaaaaaaa..doa Ayeshaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..marah (My neighbor must be tone deaf by now)
5. Chirkut and Chirkuti (Thats my version of a Nincompoop..sengihnampakgigi)
6. The Mashallah, Alhamdulillah, Inshallah and Subhanallahs.. senyum
7. Ohhhh.. okayyyy! (With as much amreekan accent into it as possible!!)

7 Things I did Before:

1. Slept whenever I wanted to.. ate (read gorged) on food.. and refused to lift a finger around the house.. Hated cooking and cleaning.. would hate to get my hands wet basically.. LOL! Ironically thats what I do now all day long.. tumbuk
2. Loved reading and hence bought all kinds of books from book fairs, retail stores, Sunday markets, thrift stores, footpaths etc etc.. u name it.. I've been there..sengihnampakgigi
3. Bagged a number of awards, prizes, certificates, scholarships and what not.. topper in class, 90% in boards, best all-rounder, singing, debates, elocution, radio-ads, dramatics, arts and crafts.. once again.. u name it.. I've done it.. was a very competitive person in school.. (read 'was'sedih)
4. Believed I was the best.. and no one could come even an inch closer to my endearing, flawless, adorable personality.. (Ok.. dont sneer.. we all have our little misconceptions about ourselves).. I never lost hope, broke down or gave up.. never.. Was calm and composed, even in the most challenging situations of my life.. (dont know how I could do that!)
5. Drove a bike, had the time of my life riding doubles n triples.. met with an accident, injured myself.. and still refused to give up driving the two-wheeler.. (Zainab I blame u for being the source of inspiration here.. lol!)
6. Opted for Biological Sciences in Intermediate, then took up Commerce and Accounting in Graduation and ended up with Masters in Computers.. gile
7. Had an awesome sense of humor.. was immensely talkative and the life of any party.. sengihnampakgigi

7 Things I Do Now:

1. Manage to cook palatable food..(mind u.. my husband loves it kenyit) and do every bit of work around the house.. single handedly managing one toddler and one infant.. encem
2. Quit reading books, so to replace the void, I read stuff, blog and try to be socially active online.. which includes food-blog browsing, signing in for mom meet-up groups, connecting with old/long lost pals and long distant cousins..
3. Plan an extensive list of things I wish to get into once I'm done with my parenting days.. which includes an MBA, BEd or a PhD in Education..
4. Enhancing my religious and spiritual side.. in whatever ways I can.. trying to be a better human being..
5. More thankful, humble and subjugated to the Almighty now than I was ever in my life.. taking each day as a new experience... being a wife and a mother, life never ceases to amaze me..!
6. Find it very difficult to approach women for friendship in USA .. something which I had never thought as being this tough.. I magically made friends without having to try so hard all my life..sengihnampakgigi
7. Day dream, reminisce, recollect and ponder over what life has taught me over the years.. making a special note of my mistakes and blunders which I would never want my children to commit.. senyum

7 Things I Want to Do:

1. Perform Haj.. Thrice.. one for myself.. one for my father and another for my mother.. Inshallah!
2. To able to change the wrong perception of Islam among people in the West.. To do Dawah.. Inshallah!
3. Raise my children with the best religious and human values one could ever impart to their children.. to be their best friend, philosopher and guide..
4. To be able to command respect and authority in whatever job I take up..
5. To be able to whip up deserts, bake goodies, barbecue chicken and practically breeze though cooking delicious stuff.. yummm.. (a far cry from the way I slog in the kitchen with meticulous attentive hard work.. boo hoo!)
6. Start my own little organization for charity purposes.. stop wasteful expenditure from my side and put aside money for donation..
7. To churn out millions through one of my brilliant brainwaves.. (Psst: I have several brainwaves.. if only someone could sponsor them.. lolz!)

7 Things That Attract Me About The Opposite Sex:

1. Dignity and a very high level of decency..
2. Give full attention when spoken to.. regardless of who is speaking to him.. even if it happens to be his wife.. jelir
3. Lower his gaze at scantily, provocatively dressed women.. on second thoughts.. at every strange woman..
4. Ability to realize when to shut up and not ruin a brief shining moment of vocal brilliance.. sengihnampakgigi
5. Believes in peaceful coexistence, what the world calls 'compromise' and what I call.. 'Saying YES DEAR to everything I say'.. gelakguling
6. One who gives financial liberty, shopping liberty and spending liberty to his woman.. (sigh! wishful thinking..!)
7. Religious, Kind, Considerate, Understanding and sensitive to a woman's feelings, Is not too loud and brash, Dresses impeccably, Smells good, Loves children and is a good role model to them, Doesn't bring his work problems home, Takes the family for outings and spends liberally without a grumpy face, Flatters a woman to the skies, Is not self pompous, Doesn't snore, Doesn't belch loudly, Doesn't smoke (and drink of course), Can laugh at his own expense, Should laugh at his partner's jokes no matter how silly they sound to him, Knows how to calm down himself when instigated, Has the ability to forgive and forget when crossed, Doesn't sleep, eat or drink or do practically anything else except holding ur hand when u r in labor, Can cook in emergencies, Can change diapers and prepare formula for the baby, Can sit beside a child for his first pooping lessons.. etc, etc.. I'm sure I missed a lot of other things.. LOL! (Err.. did u say 7??? What good is a man with 7 virtues.. lol!)

7 Favorite Foods:

1. Hyderabadi ghar ka khaana (Home made food) consisting of Khatti dal and Tala hua gosht (Sour Lentils and Fried Mutton)
2. Ohris ke Chole Bhature, Banana split and Bull's eye Ice cream.. (talking about Ice creams, Cold Stone here in USA is pretty darn good too)
3. Butter Chicken and Naan preceeded by a bowl of Chicken Hot n Sour soup..
4. Chicago Downtown's Fish Biryani (U have to eat it to believe it)
5. Chicken wings in hot sauce and Halaal Pizzas of the Arabic restaurants in Detroit..
6. Grilled Chicken and Kebaabs combo with coriander chutney at Devon, Chicago
7. Chaat at Gokul and Chirag Ali Lane, Lassi of Old city, Haleem of practically every restaurant, Kebaabs of Purani Haveli, Cold Frappe of Cafe Coffee Day at Hyderabad.. n loads of other stuff exclusive to good old Hyderabad..

7 comments:

syeda said...

Oyee Armina hum pehle kyun nahin mile? we have so much in common;)

Oh I missed out the chaat,I love love love paani poori,not necessarily gokul any roadside bandi will do.It was really great to know u!
Oh u have a very SHORT list of 7 things for what you want in opposite gender..lol

I just wonder Armina,I sometimes think that parentic a toddler and an infant is really tough,and I crib all the time, there are so many people out there do it so effortlessly,why is it so? any idea? Do u think it is easy...we should keep a poll about this from moms of more than 2 kids..:), looks like I am having your bheja fry:) so signing off..

Zee said...

You deserved them dearie:)
ROFL..LOL..hahahaha..
How can I forget Chirkut and Chirkuti..hahaha..after all that was how all the silly boys and girls were referred to in college..we also had chilpila, hejla, haendra,..rem?? LOL!
I think you should really write a post reg those days..I would love to read the way you would narrate it:D
Proud to be your source of inspiration for driving a bike..:P
You still have an awesome and belly splitting sense of humour..:D
OMG the 7 things that attract you to the opposite sex!!! While I agree with all of them, at the same time I wonder it must be really challenging for bhai to keep up with you.....has it ever been easy for anybody else..LOL
Hope and pray you get to do that MBA, Bed, PHd and everything else and perform Haj Inshallah!:)
May Allah help you in your quest for spirituality, assist you in your Dawah and charity work:)
Had a ball reading your post..mom was in the same room wondering what's wrong with this woman, grinning all the way staring at the monitor..LOLOL
Keep em comin dudette!

Yasmeen said...

Awesome post Armina.Your extensive reading habit did make you a very witty and brilliant writer.Guess I feel the same about loosing my competitive spirit and my talkative nature sitting at home on such a long career break.I'm also patiently waiting for my kiddos to become more independent before resuming my work\career...

May Allah fulfill all your ambitions as in "I want to do list" . Giving Dawah is such a noble thought...I believe its one the toughest duty as a mu'mineen.

Very impressive way to put together all the attractive qualities of opposite sex.
I miss the tasty eateries of good old Hyderabad.
Keep your ingenious posts coming,we love reading them:)

maimoona said...

well written Meme! May Allah fulfill your list of things to do.You reminded me of some of the my favorite foodies..Enjoyed reading your post!

Armina said...

Oyee Syeda.. Hum ab milgaye hai.. so lets rockkkk.. lol! From reading ur blog, I could instantly make out that we have a lot of things in common.. not to mention our endearing friendly personalities.. :)Well I don't necessarily crib about the travails of raising children but am appalled at my helplessness at times.. when nothing seems to work.. and nothing turns out how I want it to be.. I had a preconceived notion about how I would raise my children and how they are expected to behave..n that's unfortunately not how it is turning out to be in real life..:) But I'm never going to give up..

Thanks Zainab.. Loved ur comment.. recollecting abt college days gives me the heebie jeebies.. lolz.. lots of yucckkk n wowww n ohmegosh stuff to remember :))
As abt the 7 things(read 70 things) abt men.. I must confess Farooq has a vast majority of these virtues.. n whatever he is lacking, I'm hoping he will work on it after reading this post.. lol!!

Thanks Yasmeen.. It was such a heartwarming comment.. and coming from one of the best bloggers like u, it made me all the more cheerful to hear such nice things about myself.. did i tell u I absolutely loveeeeee ur blog? (I think I say that in every comment on mine in ur blog.. :)

Thanks Maimoona.. glad u enjoyed reading the post..

Yasmeen said...

AsSalaam Alaykum Armina,
I know its late even for belated eid wishes.Hope you had a blessed eid.Can you write to me at yasmeenhealthnut@gmail.com. Just want to sent you an invitation to join me in the facebook.
Hugs and kisses to your little ones:)

Armina said...

walaikumsalaam yasmeen.. sorry couldn't reply earlier.. and yes we are now friend son facebook.. :)

Welcome, You are visitor number